Sunday, April 28, 2013

April 28, 2013 Post #1 Eleven Seconds



Undoubtedly, the Boston Marathon was an irreversible event inflicting much pain and panic to the nation. The devastation of the marathon hit the media instaneously, forging deep emotional toll with commercial gain. In a slew of media coverage of the Boston Marathon, ABC News uses videos, voice messages and images to convey the terror in Boston.

Personally, I can't even begin to eloquently put my feelings regarding the marathon into words other than "this is completely unreal". It is hard for me to imagine the depth of shock and suffering experienced by the attendees of the marathon and their families. My reaction of the coverage of the bombing somewhat is reminiscent of Ron Weasley throwing up slugs and Kim Kardashian feeling angry and sad that everyone is calling her fat. It makes me feel queasy, utterly sad and outraged.

In this video, there is a definite sense of pathos throughout. The entire content is saddening to begin with, and then images and screams are the straws that broke the camel's back. Resulting from burdening sorrow of the marathon, people all around Boston have gathered and donated blood to the Red Cross that the Red Cross has to "turn away donors because they are simply at capacity". If that doesn't scream pathos-invoked actions then I don't know what does.

I believe that ABC has only one ulterior motives behind posting this video, the prospect of being the popular news station that grabs in viewers and therefore grabbing advertisers as well, culminating in their overall prosperity. But, in ABC's defense, every other news station has the same motives, and have used the same tactics to remain or achieve the "number one" status. Other than that, I see no further personal gain from this video and that it is used to portray the utter devistation of the marathon.

However, I cannot be one hundred percent confident with that conclusion, because of my lack of knowledge of media. I believe as this blog progresses, I will be able to change my use of media. And in the mean time, I will hope for the best and believe that the intent of ABC and other news stations have the public's best interest at heart.

I can't help noticing how relatively peaceful and calm the report is, and then it hit me: it's because they did not mention anything about terrorism or terrorist attacks. It seems that once terrorism is mentioned in any kind of attacks, furthermore chaos erupts causing much more mudslinging media. That highlights how sensitive this country is about terrorism and how we automatically go into defense mode when it is mentioned, and while no one owns up to it, racial profiling bursts to life. That DOES NOT mean in anyway I am downplaying the severity of terrorism, I am merely casting a guiding light at how much of an impact fear has on media.

Despite the cliché, my heart does go out to Boston and everyone impacted by this attack. I offer my sincerest hope that a timely recovery follows and that justice, not emotional retaliation and violence, will ensue.   

No comments:

Post a Comment